Anchored: Who God (not the world) says you are
Social Media…..I really don’t even want to talk about it, but I will because there’s much about it that needs to be called out. There’s also a need for it to be put back in it’s place. Everything about it feels like it’s meant to draw you in and set you up for a letdown. Truth is, it’s distracting people from what God has planned for us.
Social media seems to have the ability to make you feel like you’re everything and nothing all at the same time. You have these visually perfect women pretending their just like you. Going so far as to feign perfectly imperfect hair & makeup for their totally “real” before and after photos…all in an effort to sell the idea that “we’re exactly the same” and “if you buy my plan, you can look like me in a few simple steps”.
Influencers and entertainers put so much effort into making you think their fabulous life is just as draining and hectic as yours. Why? What’s the point of all this pretending? Well, the root of it is a need for “followers”. Everyone has something to sell, and if influencing your feelings gets you to buy into their version of truth, then you may also hand over your money (along with your time, thoughts, and desires).
Following someone else’s “reality” and desiring to make their world fit into your life will run you ragged and make you feel inadequate. Chasing other peoples perfection will always leave you feeling incomplete!
You have to stop, put it down, shut it off, tune it out, disregard it altogether. It’s not edifying, but rather, it’s tearing you down and making you feel like you’ll never catchup or measure up!
OK, inhale deeply through your nose, then slowly exhale through your mouth. Here’s a little refresher from God Himself..
Who God says you are
For he chose us in Christ before the foundation of the world that we may be holy and unblemished in his sight in love (Ephesians 1:4).
Therefore, as the elect of God, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with a heart of mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience … (Colossians 3:12).
We know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you … (1 Thessalonians 1:4).
Receive one another, then, just as Christ also received you, to God’s glory (Romans 15:7).
But they are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus (Romans 3:24).
For the law of the life-giving Spirit in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death (Romans 8:2).
For freedom Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not be subject again to the yoke of slavery (Galatians 5:1).
A Child of God
And if children, then heirs (namely, heirs of God and also fellow heirs with Christ)–if indeed we suffer with him so we may also be glorified with him (Romans 8:17).
But to all who have received him–those who believe in his name–he has given the right to become God’s children … (John 1:12).
A friend of God
I no longer call you slaves, because the slave does not understand what his master is doing. But I have called you friends, because I have revealed to you everything I heard from my Father (John 15:15).
… You have been filled in him, who is the head over every ruler and authority (Colossians 2:10).
First and foremost, know this, Ephesians 2:10 says:
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
God alone, not social media, is where your true identity comes from. God has created you on purpose and for a purpose. Nobody will ever know you as intimately as God does, and so we must be careful who we allow to influence our thoughts and direction.
He is where your Joy comes from
- Psalm 90:14 – Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.
- Psalm 16:11 – You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand.
- Psalm19:8 – The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart. The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes.
- Psalm 30:11 – You turned my wailing into dancing; you removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
He alone is the one who Forgives you
- Isaiah 12:1 – And in that day you will say: “O LORD, I will praise You; Though You were angry with me, Your anger is turned away, and You comfort me.
- Psalm 32:5 – Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt. I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the LORD.” And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone.
- 1 John 1:9 – But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.
He’s a Peace Giver
- Psalm 32:1-2 – Oh, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight! Yes, what joy for those whose record the LORD has cleared of guilt, whose lives are lived in complete honesty!
- Psalm 34:8 – Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!
- Ephesians 2:14
He’s your Friend
- 1 John 1:7 – But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.
- 1 John 1:3 – that which we have seen and heard we declare to you, that you also may have fellowship with us; and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with His Son Jesus Christ.
He’s your Protector
- Psalm 9:9 – The LORD is a shelter for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.
- Psalm 32:7 – For you are my hiding place; you protect me from trouble. You surround me with songs of victory.
- Psalm 119:114 – You are my refuge and my shield; your word is my source of hope.
- 1 Peter 2:21 – So get rid of all evil behavior. Be done with all deceit, hypocrisy, jealousy, and all unkind speech.
Fellow sojourners, please find your identity in God, not in the ever changing standards of the world. Be confident in knowing that the God of the universe is on your side and created you for His good pleasure. He desires to fellowship with you, protect you, and to have you rest in the peace that only He can give. Tune out the constant chatter and sit quietly with God, allowing the worlds expectations to fall away and Gods truth to wash over and direct your steps.
Much love, tons of giggles & continued grace,