Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Maple Marshmallow Frosting
Think sweet potato casserole! I know, right!? Well, my mother in law’s the Queen of sweet potato pie & casserole, so I don’t dare try putting my spin on her classic! Then I found this recipe. I knew I could present these sweet potato cupcakes as more of a nod, than a rip off of her delicious signature dish.
Naturally, I called up my mother in law to get her opinion before deciding to do this recipe. She was as excited as I was, and from there it was on! From the get-go I knew the sweet potato cupcake would be tasty, because when I run out of pumpkin at my house, I always switch my Pumpkin Loaf recipe over to a sweet potato loaf. Actually, you’ll barely notice the difference, the two are totally interchangeable.
Last week, you’ll remember I made Lemon Squares, something my husband’s been asking for for the better half of 15 years. Well guess what?! As good as they were, he said these were the best yet! “Best yet” people! Although I’m no trained baker, I can certainly follow directions like a champ. So yeah, I’ve been baking my fair share of confection goodness for quite some time now. This is big ya’ll, this could be my signature dessert (after a toasty alteration to the top ***hint it’s a beloved gooey fireside treat)! So that’s a BIG Woop! Woop! to Miriam over there at Overtime Cook (link below).
As usual, you know I’m a visual learner and I prefer to assume everyone else is too. So, below are the steps needed to get this recipe in your belly.
Tips & Tricks:
- Coat/spray the spoon & measuring cup that you use for the fluff with oil. This will help big time! It’ll allow the fluff to slid right into the bowl without having a sticky mess.
- I only used 2/3 of the confectioners sugar in the frosting. It was just enough to keep the frosting sweet and firm enough to pipe onto the cupcake.
- Next time, I’ll be toasting some marshmallows and adding them as a super special garnish on top
I don’t have too many tips for this recipe, I stuck pretty close to the original. Give em’ a try, and let me know whatcha think. oh, and let me know if you ventured off and tried those toasty marshmallows!
Where to find this and other yummy treats:
- Here’s a link the original Sweet Potato Cupcake with Maple Marshmallow frosting recipe over at Overtime Cook. Head over for her printable recipe (and peruse for a bit, you’ll be happy you did).
- More delish cupcake recipe just like this one can be found on my Pinterest board “Cupcakes” (clever, huh?)
- And of course, you can see all the yummy recipes I’ve been knocking off here on my “Pinned-Delish Success” board